I was nominated for a “Freestyle Writing Challenge” by uju, and honestly it was harder than I thought! Seeing misspelled words and resisting the impulse to backspace made something in my soul die….nevertheless it was lots of fun and was informative as well. I honestly think my writing went a bit off-topic, but maybe that was what I was supposed to learn through this. Thanks for nominating me! I also nominated a few others for a new topic at the bottom, so if you desire, feel free to participate! (If I didn’t nominate you and you’re dying to participate too feel free to jump in!)
Prompt: Tell us about something “out of character”.
Time: 10ish minutes
Animated—a person of color against a black and white backdrop, struggling to find personality in the chaos. Outside of myself, I can look back and see my 2-d figure wandering its dimensional world….one step, two step, three skips along a single line that she thinks is her whole world. This is almost how it feels to watch yourself do something that you never believed was possible. Something better, or worse, or something impossible, but something that does not fit with the rhyme and reason of you. This is out of character, staring into an abyss of all the things you thought you were but can no longer use as descriptive adjectives. To be out of character is to burn the bridge of your previous course, sometimes in small steps or sometimes in large ones. Someone who is gloomy when normally happy will day-in-and-day-out wilt away the flower or their happiness….someone is characterized by industrius work but who quits his job on a whim takes a giant step away from his former character. And so we all, on days where we are not ourselves, look at our persons from an omniscient perspective and wonder who we really are inside. Are we our ideals or this person living apart from them? Are we whole or fragmented based on our current thoughts and circustances? Maybe being out of character makes us understand that we are not all what we think in our minds…that there are parts of us that maybe we outselves do not even know or undersand. Maybe we are more, or less, or all of the above of what we imagined, and maybe being our of character humiliates us to realize both our shortcomings and victories. Who we are is not who we believed before, as demonstrated by the choices we make that do not correspond with the ideas of ourselves . Composite, complete, broken, corrupted, incomplete, fragmented, challenged, torn, ripped, incomparable….and somehow still one soul, although we act like we belong to many personalities and peoples at times. This is something about our character that we love and hate but cannot change.
1. Open a blank document.
2. Set a stopwatch timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever length you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds! Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
5. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals
6. At the end of your post write down the number of words to give an idea of how much you can write within the time Frame.
7. Put the whole document onto your post and nominate 5 others and give them a new topic. Remember to copy paste the rules in!
Tell me something (story, opinion, fact, belief) about soulmates.